What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
Male sexual arousal is a complex thing. It involves a lot of different parts of the body. Your brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles and your blood vessels are all tied to your sexual health. Because so many parts of the body are involved in sexual arousal, there are a number of different factors that could cause erectile dysfunction.
Our brains are a major sex organ, so it’s possible that both psychological and physical problems may be at the root of erectile dysfunction.
Psychological Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Anxiety, Depression, Stress: This may surprise some people, but our emotions and psychological state play a big part in our sex life. If you are nervous, depressed, cautious or anxious this may impact your erection. If you think that anxiety may be inhibiting your sex life, then try to get at the root of the problem. Are you paying attention to your relationship? Are you happy? Are you communicating well? Remember not to rush any of the sexual processes, pay attention to your partner and pay attention to yourself.
Physical Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Emotional factors can cause erectile dysfunction as well as physical problems. If you suffer from erectile dysfunction and you think you may also suffer from one of the following issues, please contact your doctor and explore some possibilities.
- Heart disease
- Clogged blood vessels (atherosclerosis)
- High cholesterol and blood pressure
- Diabetes and obesity
- Metabolic syndrome — which involves high blood pressure, high insulin and fat found around the waist.
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease — development of scar tissue inside the penis
- Certain medications
- Tobacco use, alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
Contact Urology Experts Today
We are ready and able to help you with any of your erectile dysfunction needs. We are passionate about restoring your quality of life. Contact us today.